Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Trucks, Trailer Hitches and other bumps in the road

My move is over and was accomplished safely. However, the process of getting everything ready turned into a very interesting story were I went from frustrated to the verge of tears to being very blessed. This wonderful journey begins with my truck. The truck that I just got that has lots of character shall we say. It's not exactly a lemon but the guy that sold it to me took me for a bit of a ride. My first big indicator was I was leaking power steering fluid, like I drove an hour and I had to fill it up again. I was doing errands one Saturday and I had to use 3/4 of a bottle to keep me going. I tried to get in contact with the seller who said they would look at it and fix it. Yep never happened so Firestone fixed it but told me that it was only a temporary fix and that I would have to get it fixed in like six months and that it would be over a grand to do so. Yeah I wasn't buying it so I called my dad and had them talk to him. Turns out the truth is it is a temporary fix but should last the remainder of my trucks life so I didn't need to do that $1,000 job after all. Love that I get swindled and lied to because of my gender at car shops, it’s amazing!!

This turned out to be the first of many fun projects my Roxy would have to have before we were able to rent a trailer and move, but luckily my dad flew in Friday, June 10th. Saturday was our logistics day as the move was happening on Monday mid morning. We started Saturday with some last minute store shopping for car stuff to make sure we wouldn’t get stranded in some crazy part of West Virginia. My dad was very concerned that the trucks A/C wasn’t working, oh yeah did I mentioned I discovered that as I was driving for an appointment an hour away?! So we got some do it yourself A/C stuff and loads of other items. There we were in the Walmart parking lot trying to fix the A/C. Didn’t work, but thankfully the air still blew it just wasn’t cold. Our next stop was U-Haul! So we get there decide on the size trailer and then we take a look at my hitch. For starters the trailer hitch ball was rusted solid. We couldn't turn it or loosen it at all. Then we try the connector for the trailer lights. At first it look like it was going to be good but one light wasn’t working so my dad and the U-Haul worker commence an hour long adventure trying to figure out the rats nest that is the wiring in the back of the truck. Amazingly he was able to get it to work but recommend we go to another U-Haul across town that would be able to fix my hitch and also had the trailer size we were looking for.

The second U-Haul started out smoothly we got all the paperwork taken care of and we got to the point of hooking up my truck to the trailer. We told the worker what the other U-Haul worker had said and she gave us this dumb founded look. Yeah so she tried, I went out and bought some rust buster and soaked the thing. No luck but she called yet another U-Haul location that had a workshop that should be able to help us. So around this time it’s like 3ish or so. My dad and I were hoping to load up that night but it wasn’t looking like it was possible. So we head to U-Haul number three which funny enough we had passed and noticed on our way to U-Haul number two.

To Be Continued....

No comments:

Post a Comment